Saturday, September 1, 2007

Blogging at last

Journalism should be my last choice for a career. As a college student with high-functioning Asperger's Syndrome, a disorder on the autistic spectrum, conversation is awkward at the best of times and terrifying at the worst of times. The very thought of interviewing someone should force me to drop from my seat and curl into a fetal position.

But the intrigue and excitement of journalism lured me into choosing it as a profession and way of life. And it changed me from a scared student into someone with the confidence to write compelling stories. Forcing myself to talk to people and form human connections with my sources helped me learn to socialize with other students and gave me courage.

I think blogging will help me communicate what it's like for an autistic person to deal with the same issues other reporters, such as convincing reluctant sources to talk, asking hard questions, ethical issues and so on. It's also a way to discuss how I cope with college life differently from other college students.

One caveat: If this blog stops being fun and starts being mopey and too focused on how awesome I am, you readers -all two of you- have to let me know so we can make it enjoyable again. All right. Hope you have fun reading this blog.

2 comments:

Steph G. said...

I'm so excited to read your blog!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Alex, you make me feel old. What's this about your graduating? You and your father came to see me about attending UF just a couple of months back, right? Time truly flies, when it comes as a series of semesters. I enjoyed reading this. You're going to have a great career as a writer and reporter. I'll keep reading.