Friday, September 7, 2007

Meet Hans and the autistic bubble- The BBI Post (That's Boring But Important information for you non-journalism majors)

Before we go on, I thought I should give more information on the information on the condition that helped shape my personality.

Asperger's Syndrome was first diagnosed in the 1940s by Hans Asperger, an Austrian pediatrician who referred to children with the disorder as"little professors." And with their formal way of speaking and social awkwardness, the description couldn't be more appropriate.
Asperger's findings did not attract attention in the U.S. until the 1990s, which means many patients tended to be misdiagnosed with more severe disorders.

Symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome can include an inability to appropriately use and understand nonverbal communication, a failure to socially and emotionally bond with others and a reluctance to socialize.

The disorder is included in the autistic spectrum and can develop to varying degrees of severity.

Everyone has different symptoms. It took me until high school to learn how to properly maintain eye contact with others, but I usually didn't have a problem with comprehending what I read like others might.

I compare having Asperger's to being trapped in a mobile plastic bubble. You can have fun partying or talking with your friends, but you often feel like there's a transparent barrier separating you from the people you care about. You never truly feel like one of them. And you don't really know how you or anyone else can break that barrier.

Sometimes you just stop trying to break the bubble and resign yourself to retreating into a fantasy world of books and video games, like I used to do. But if you're persistent or can find someone who can help you, you can find the barrier's weak point and break out of the bubble.

Journalism was the way I felt I could pop the bubble. And it seems like the mainstream and informal media's potential to help people communicate is attractive to others with the condition, as well as their supporters. While writing this post, I've found two interesting Youtube videos. One was produced by a teenager with Asperger's.

The other is made by the father of an autistic boy.

Hope you enjoy them. I'm going to make the next post more fun and lighter since I'm realizing this is pretty heavy.

2 comments:

Jessica DaSilva said...

Thus far, I am impressed. I'm looking forward to a long future for this blog.

Steph G. said...

Hey Alex,

I watched both the videos. Do you think all this is true of you? I thought the description of catching things on the edge of attention were pertinent to you and it also seemed like it might be helpful in doing original journalism. Does loud or annoying music bother you?